Quality education is rare in Uganda, yet it is agreed worldwide that an education is the key to breaking the cycle of poverty for many children and their families. The African Children’s Choir has achieved great success in its model for education, student scholarships, and Choir programs; so much so that a new school campus was needed.
A 1.1 million USD capital campaign began in 2005 and in 2008 ground was broken to build a new African Children’s Choir™ education and training center. Music for Life has purchased 14 acres on the shores of Lake Victoria, near the city of Entebbe.
The project has been carefully planned in such a way that completion of the first buildings will provide a functioning school facility and accommodation for an initial intake of 150 children.
The construction of the school facilities is well under way. Students began classes at the new facility in February 2010.
Development plans for the remainder of the campus include:
- Additional Classrooms and Dormitories to accommodate an additional 200 children
- Staff and Guest Housing ensuring staff are accessible for the children
- Choir Training Center dedicated to the training of new Choirs
- Assembly Hall & Amphitheater meeting places for the student body, focal point for community events
- Nursery School offering early childhood education to the local community
- Garden enhancing science lessons and providing some of the school’s food needs
- Landscaping designed with open spaces for play and other areas for quiet reflection or study
The new school facility carries the potential to radically alter the future of hundreds of children each year. The children are able to live their lives full of hope, love and the knowledge that they can make a difference: in their homes, their communities, their countries and around the world.